Friday Feb 03, 2023
Episode 67: Humility, Compassion, and Reflection with Dr. Nasiah Cirincione-Ulezi and Dr. Jonathan Tarbox
In Episode 67, Ben chats with Drs. Nasiah Cirincione-Ulezi and Jonathan Tarbox. This conversation digs deep into humility, compassion, and reflection. They apply these concepts to imposter syndrome, empathy, kindness, service, and more.
Host Note: This was by far one of the most personally impactful interviews I've done. I have so much gratitude for Dr. Cirincione-Ulezi's mentorship. She has taught me so much about recognizing and acknowledging my own biases (and do I ever have A LOT of biases) and most of all she taught me the true value of sitting with my discomfort. Similarly, Dr. Tarbox has been such a model for me. He has shown me over and over again how someone with so much power and privilege in our field can use that power to be of service to others and uplift voices. SO MUCH GRATITUDE!
Continuing Education Units (CEUs): https://cbiconsultants.com/shop
- BACB: 2.0 Learning
- IBAO: 2.0 Cultural
- QABA: 2.0 DEI
- Cirincione-Ulezi, N. (2020). Black Women and Barriers to Leadership in ABA. Behav Analysis Practice, 13, 719–724. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40617-020-00444-9
- Strauss, C., Lever Taylor, B., Gu, J., Kuyken, W., Baer, R., Jones, F., & Cavanagh, K. (2016). What is compassion and how can we measure it? A review of definitions and measures. Clinical psychology review, 47, 15–27. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cpr.2016.05.004
- Sylvain, M.M., Knochel, A.E., Gingles, D. et al. (2022). ABA While Black: The Impact of Racism and Performative Allyship on Black Behaviorists in the Workplace and on Social Media. Behavior Analysis Practice, 15, 1126–1133. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40617-022-00694-9
The Behaviour Speak Podcast Episodes Referenced:
- Grant Bruno: https://www.behaviourspeak.com/e/episode-37-the-realities-of-autism-in-first-nations-communities-in-canada-with-grant-bruno-phd-candidate
- Nicole Hollins: https://www.behaviourspeak.com/e/episode-49-free-appropriate-public-education-for-all-students-the-role-of-behavior-analysts-in-public-schools-with-dr-nicole-hollins
- Elizabeth Hughes-Fong: https://www.behaviourspeak.com/e/episode-53-cultural-competence-in-behaviour-analysis-how-far-have-we-come-with-dr-elizabeth-hughes-fong
- Terra Vance Episodes: https://www.behaviourspeak.com/e/episode-54; https://www.behaviourspeak.com/e/episode-55-applied-behavior-analysis-reform-is-it-even-a-possiblity-with-terra-vance-part-2
- May Beaubrun Episode: https://www.behaviourspeak.com/e/episode-62-addressing-racial-bias-in-education-with-may-beaubrun-med-bcba-lba
- Jen Ashlee - Link Raven Winged Consulting IG page
- Monica Smiley BCBA
- Tarbox Behavioural View Episode
- Marshal Rosenberg Non-Violent Communication
To leave or reply to comments, please download free Podbean or
To leave or reply to comments,
please download free Podbean App.