Friday Oct 28, 2022
Episode 52: An Autistic Researcher’s Perspectives on Neurodiversity, Autism, and Autism Research with Patrick Dwyer, M.A.
In this episode, I chat with Patrick Dwyer, an autistic Ph.D. student at the University of California-Davis. Patrick discusses his writings and research on neurodiversity, the medical model and social model of disability, Naturalistic Developmental Behaviour Interventions (NDBIs) and so much more.
Continuing Education Units (CEUs): https://cbiconsultants.com/shop
- BACB: 1.5 Learning
- IBAO: 1.5 Learning
- QABA: 1.5 General
- Patrick's Page: http://www.autisticscholar.com
The Behaviour Speak Podcast Episodes Referenced:
- Episode 37: https://www.behaviourspeak.com/e/episode-37-the-realities-of-autism-in-first-nations-communities-in-canada-with-grant-bruno-phd-candidate
- Brown, H. M., Stahmer, A. C., Dwyer, P., & Rivera, S. (2021). Changing the story: How diagnosticians can support a neurodiversity perspective from the start. Autism, 25(5), 1171–1174. https://doi.org/10.1177/13623613211001012
- Dwyer, Patrick M. A. (2022). Stigma, incommensurability, or both? Pathology-first, person-first, and identity-first Language and the challenges of discourse in divided autism communities. Journal of Developmental & Behavioral Pediatrics, (43)2, 111-113. https://doi.org/10.1097/DBP.0000000000001054
- Dwyer, P., Acevedo, S. M., Brown, H. M., Grapel, J., Jones, S. C., Nachman, B. R., Raymaker, D. M., & Williams, Z. J. (2021). An expert roundtable discussion on experiences of autistic autism researchers. Autism in Adulthood, 209-220. https://doi.org/10.1089/aut.2021.29019.rtb
- Dwyer, P. (2022). The neurodiversity approach(es): What are they and what do they mean for researchers? Human Development, 66, 73-92. https://doi.org/10.1159/000523723
- Dwyer, P., Ryan, J. G., Williams, Z. J., & Gassner, D. L. (2022). First do no harm: Suggestions regarding respectful autism language. Pediatrics, 149(Suppl 4), e2020049437N. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2020
- Gillespie-Lynch, K., Dwyer, P., Constantino, C., Kapp, S. K., Hotez, E., Riccio, A., DeNigris, D., Kofner, B., & Endlich, E. (2020). "Can we broaden the neurodiversity movement without weakening it? Participatory approaches as a framework for cross-disability alliance building", Carey, A. C., Ostrove, J. M. & Fannon, T. (Ed.) Disability alliances and allies (Research in Social Science and Disability, Vol. 12), Emerald Publishing Limited, Bingley, pp. 189-223. https://doi.org/10.1108/S1479-354720200000012013
- Schuck, R. K., Tagavi, D. M., Baiden, K. M. P., et al. (2022). Neurodiversity and autism intervention: Reconciling perspectives through a naturalistic developmental behavioral intervention framework. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 52, 4625–4645. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10803-021-05316-x
To leave or reply to comments, please download free Podbean or
To leave or reply to comments,
please download free Podbean App.