Friday Dec 03, 2021
Episode 25: Having Sex, Seeing a Concert, Going to the Pub, Living with My Friends: Proper Outcomes of Positive Behaviour Support with Dr. Darren Bowring, Ph.D.
In this episode, Ben chats with Dr. Darren Bowring, a researcher at the University of Warwick in the UK. Dr. Bowring’s research focuses on updating the causal model of behaviour, designing community-based PBS specialist teams and the overprescribing of medications to people with intellectual disabilities.
Continuing Education Units (CEUs): https://cbiconsultants.com/shop
- BACB: 1.5 Learning
- IBAO: 1.5 Learning
- QABA: 1.5 General
- BILD Conference 2021: https://www.bild.org.uk/m-events/bild-international-positive-behaviour-support-conference-2021
- Stay Up Late: https://stayuplate.org
- STOMP: https://www.england.nhs.uk/publication/stomp-stopping-the-over-medication-of-people-with-a-learning-disability-autism-or-both
- Baker, P., Stafford V., & Hardiman, R. A. (2019). Cross sectional study of trauma symptomatology among staff working with people with intellectual disabilities who present challenging behaviour. International Journal of Positive Behaviour Support, 9(1), 30-37.
- Bigby, C. & Beadle-Brown, J. (2016). Culture in better group homes for people with intellectual disability at severe levels. Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities, 54(5), 316-331. doi: https://doi.org/10.1352/1934-9556-54.5.316
- Bowring, D. L., Totsika, V., Hastings, R. P. & Toogood, S. (2018). Toward data-based clinical decision making for adults with challenging behavior using the Behavior Problems Inventory-Short Form (BPI-S). Tizard Learning Disability Review, 23(2), 103-110. https://doi.org/10.1108/TLDR-06-2017-0025
- Deveau, R. & McGill, P. (2016). Practice leadership at the front line in supporting people with intellectual disabilities and challenging behaviour: A qualitative study of registered managers of community-based, staffed group homes. Journal of Applied Research in Intellectual Disabilities, 29, 266-277. https://doi.org/10.1111/jar.12178
- Gore, N. J., McGill, P., Toogood, S., Allen, D., Hughes, J. C., Baker, P., Hastings, R. P., Noone, S. J., & Denne, L. D. (2013). Definition and scope for positive behavioural support. International Journal of Positive Behavioural Support, 3(2), 14-23.
- McGill, P., Bradshaw, J., Smyth, G., Hurman, M. & Roy, A. (2020). Capable environments. Tizard Learning Disability Review, 25(3), 109-116. https://doi.org/10.1108/TLDR-05-2020-0007
- Sheehan, R., Hassiotis, A., Walters, K., Osborn, D., Strydom, A., Horsfall, L., et al. (2015). Mental illness, challenging behaviour, and psychotropic drug prescribing in people with intellectual disability: UK population based cohort study. BMJ, 35, 4326. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.h4326
- Verdugo, M. A., Schalock, R. L., Keith, K. D. & Stancliffe, R. J. (2005). Quality of life and its measurement: Important principles and guidelines. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, 49, 707-717. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2788.2005.00739.x
To leave or reply to comments, please download free Podbean or
To leave or reply to comments,
please download free Podbean App.